Interesting facts about Gibraltar?
- Gibraltar is a British overseas territory and has been so since the beginning of the 18th century;
- The main ethnic groups in Gibraltar are Gibraltarian (of mixed Genoese, Maltese, Portuguese and Andalusian descent), other British, Moroccan and Indian;
- The official language of Gibraltar is English and the unofficial one is Spanish;
- Self-sufficient Gibraltar benefits from an extensive shipping trade, offshore banking, and its position as an international conference center;
- Gibraltar consists of a long limestone mountain, which has as may as 140 caves. Its highest point is at 426 m;
- Gibraltar’s main settlements are on either the east or west side of the Rock of Gibraltar;
- Gibraltar airport is listed as one of the top ten most unusual landings in the world, it has sea at either end of the runway;
- The only location in Europe to find free-roaming Barbary macaques.