New Zealand resident director
When incorporating a company in New Zealand, our foreign Clients will be required to appoint a resident director in New Zealand. Healy Consultants will assist our Clients in fulfilling this statutory obligation. Kindly refer to these important considerations:
- Under the New Zealand Companies Act 1993, all companies must have at least 1 director who is ordinarily resident in the country. However, the shareholders can be of any nationality, ensuring full 100% foreign ownership;
- In order to be considered a resident director our Clients must either i) live in New Zealand or ii) live in Australia and be a director for a company registered in the country. The Registrar of Companies interprets “live in New Zealand” as a person who is present in the country for more than 6 months during a 12 month-period;
- There is no limit on the number of directors that a company can appoint. Please note that New Zealand does not permit corporate directorship. Also, the company will be required to publicly register the particulars of their directors and shareholders;
- Should our Clients have difficulties finding a resident director of their own, Healy Consultants will offer our nominee director service to fulfill this statutory obligation. Please note that the nominee will be a director of the company in name only and will not have other business responsibilities;
- Appointing Healy Consultants nominee as the resident director will increase the likelihood of corporate bank account approval and employment visa approval;
- Lastly, Healy Consultants believes that it will easier for our Client to deal with the Government tax authorities with a resident director.
- Healy Consultants’ New Zealand individual resident director fees amount to US$7,550 per annum in unregulated industries. For financial service provider (FSP) companies and other business entities involved in regulated industries, our standard fees are US$12,500 but may be tailored according to the complexity of our Clients’ operations and our assessment of the legal risk to the nominee.
Frequently asked questions
Is a resident director required for registration of a New Zealand company?Yes. When starting a new company in New Zealand, it will be mandatory for our Clients to appoint a local individual as the New Zealand resident director.
What will New Zealand nominee director services cost?Our fee for this service will be US$7,550 per annum for simple trading limited liability companies in unregulated industries.
What number of New Zealand local company directors must I appoint?At least 1 director of the company must be resident in New Zealand.
What role will Healy Consultant’s New Zealand nominee resident director play for my company?Healy Consultants’ New Zealand based nominee director will be appointed to merely fulfill the resident director requirement. Therefore, the resident director will be present merely to fulfill the obligation and will, thus play no active role in the company.