UAE economic substance requirements (ESR) in 2021
From 1 January 2019, UAE introduced Economic Substance Regulations for local companies (including offshore and free zone entities) to comply with European Union tax governance principles.
The ESR requirements to don’t apply to multi-national Clients’ who use their UAE company as i) trading company or ii) as professional consulting services company or iii) as a corporate advisory services
- All local entities in UAE must meet ESRs if they are engaged in i) insurance, ii) banking, iii) fund management, iv) financing and leasing, v) headquarters, vi) shipping, vii) intellectual property, viii) distribution and service centre and ix) holding entity.
- Entities in scopes of economic substance requirements need to demonstrate any of the following: i) managed and directed in UAE, ii) core-income generating activities undertaken in UAE, iii) adequate number of suitably qualified full time employees in UAE, iv) adequate suppliers to conduct main businesses activities from UAE and v) adequate physical presence in UAE.
- Our Client’s business must demonstrate that it has satisfied the ESRs in respect to any relevant financial period and is required to file a declaration form on the Ministry of Finance portal, no later than 6 months after the last day of each relevant financial period.
Problems and solutions
New legal requirement Simple, practical low-cost solution
UAE companies engaged in relevant activities must i) conduct income-generating activities in UAE, ii) rent physical office space in UAE, iii) hire staff in UAE and iv) have active directors in UAE.
Healy Consultants Group PLC will assist you to:
From 1 January 2019, all UAE companies conducting relevant activities must complete an annual economic substance declaration within six months after the end of the fiscal year. The notification must be a Declaration Form on the Ministry of Finance portal.
The declaration includes i) business activities, ii) amount and type of gross income, iii) premises, iv) number of employees, including number of full-time employees and v) information on core income-generating activities.
- For a fee of US$750, Healy Consultants Group PLC will prepare and file this report for an active company. For a dormant company, the fee is US$550.
- The contents of this report will be agreed with our multinational Clients, to ensure their business goals continue to be met.
Failure to timely comply with the above may result in i) administrative penalties upto US$100,000 and/or ii) suspension or revocation of license iii) dissolution of the company.
- Together with our multinational Client, Healy Consultants Group PLC will timely accurately and completely discharge your UAE annual legal and accounting and tax obligations.
- If required, Healy Consultants Group PLC will assist you to prepare accurate and complete financial statements for your UAE business, for these accounting and tax fees.
Our multinational Client does not want to submit an annual ESR report to the UAE government.
Engage Healy Consultants Group PLC to i) advise how these changes affect our Client’s business and ii) assist our Clients’ companies fulfil all UAE ESR obligations, including notification filings.