India employment visas in 2023
Both foreign professionals and investors need to apply for a work permit in order to work in an India ltd company and relocate in the country. Healy Consultants Group is ready to proficiently guide our Clients through the application process with the Indian Bureau of Immigration. Different visa solutions can be executed: please find more information on each of them below:
Short term visit visas (business and tourism visas)
- Foreign entrepreneurs and executives of a multinational willing to have their company formed in India can submit an application for a business visa. This visa also allows them to visit the country to conduct non-remunerated work, for instance finding office premises, meeting with their customers, business partners and suppliers;
- While this visa can be issued for up to 5 years and include multiple entries, it does not allow its holder to live and conduct remunerated work in India;
- Alternatively, a visitor (tourist) visa can be issued for a maximum period of 6 months. Citizens of certain countries such as France, Germany and Luxembourg can obtain a visa for a period of up to 5 years. Furthermore, US citizens are eligible for tourist visa for up to 10 years in India;
- Documents to be submitted at the Embassies or High Commissions for visa issuance includes i) a valid passport; ii) proof of India company formation (if applicable) and iii) proof of financial standing and proof of travel medical insurance.
Employment Visas (E visas)
- Employment visas (or ‘E’ visas) are granted to i) foreign employees working in India; ii) foreign paid interns in an Indian resident company and iii) foreigners volunteering in an NGO;
- Minimum annual salary of each applicant must be above US$25,000;
- Documents to be submitted to the India Burau of Immigration include: i) a valid passport; ii) employer sponsorship letter and an employment contract iii) employee’s educational and professional credentials and iv) proof of India company formation;
- Foreign employees can obtain employment visa for a period of up to 3 years, which can later be extended for a total stay of up to 5 years;
- To be eligible to work in in India, applicants must further must register with the Foreign Regional Registration Office upon arrival in the country.
Alternative visa options
Other than the visa mentioned above, the following specialty visa apply to descendants of Indian citizens as listed below:
- Persons of Indian Origin (PIO Card) – The PIO scheme applies to people of Indian origin, defined through their birth or residency, or that of their parents or grandparents and offers a long-term Indian visa solution. PIO cards are granted for a period of fifteen years and allow their holders to enjoy visa free travel in and out of India. PIO cards allow their holders to freely engage in work or study in India and after the minimum seven-year residency requirement the option to apply for Indian citizenship is available;
- Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) – Overseas citizenship of India allows Persons of Indian Origin who have obtained citizenship of another nation, to acquire long-term leave to remain in India.
Our relocation support services
International entrepreneurs find migration to India straightforward thanks to Healy Consultants Group’s comprehensive relocation services. Kindly find below more information with regards to our services:
- Assistance to confirm the correct type of visa and document collection of required visa due diligence set;
- Liaison and submission of Indian employment and residence visa application with the Bureau of Immigration;
- Healy Consultants Group helps entrepreneurs to obtain dependent visas for their family members. We can also assist to find a home for their family and a school and other amenity for their children.
Comparison table for the types of Indian Visas
Summary at a glance Business Visa Tourist Visa Employment Visa PIO Card (PIO) Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) Purpose? Non-remunerated work Tourism, Casual Business Visits Employment Long Term Stay Long Term Stay Maximum duration of stay? 1-5 years 6 months 3-5 years NA NA Any special document required from the business? i)Proof of Financial Standing
ii) Proof of India Company Formation
No i) Original Company Letter
ii) Copy of Employment Contract
No No Multiple entry option available? Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Is the Visa extendable in India? Yes No Yes NA NA E-Visa facility available? Click to view Click to view Click to view Click to view Click to view Link to the form? Click to view Click to view Click to view Click to view Click to view Processing Time? 6-7 days 5-10 days 6-15 days 4 weeks 8-10 weeks Our relocation support services? Click to view Click to view Click to view Click to view Click to view
Let us know if you need Healy Consultants Group’s assistance to form a company in India along with quality business visa solutions to achieve your desired business goals.