Interesting facts about Estonia
- The Republic of Estonia is in the Baltic region of Northern Europe;
- The population of Estonia is approximately 1.4 million. The two major ethnic groups are Estonians and Russians;
- Estonia didn’t adopt the Euro until the start of 2011;
- The most important industry sectors for Estonia are food, construction, electronics and chemicals. Oil shale, limestone and forests (cover 50% of the country) are amongst Estonia’s most abundant natural resources;
- The Estonian language comes from the Finno-Ugric language family (as is Finnish & Hungarian) and is considered very difficult to learn;
- Estonia is considered to have one of the lowest population densities on earth, with just 32 people per square kilometer. Compare that to Singapore which has approximately 7,300;
- Skype software originated from Estonians.