DOING BUSINESS IN CAMEROON IN 2023
Since 2003, Healy Consultants Group has assisted our Clients with business registration in Cameroon. Our services include i) Cameroon business registration ii) government license registration iii) corporate bank account opening services in Cameroon and abroad iv) employee recruitment v) visa strategies and vi) office rental solutions in Cameroon.
|Summary||LLC||Fast setup solutions||Free zone LLC||Representative office||Branch office|
|Also known as||Sociétés à Responsabilité Limitée||Sociétés à Responsabilité Limitée||Sociétés à Responsabilité Limitée||Bureau de liaison||Succursale|
|Best use of company?||All products and services||Client to fast close local deal||Manuf/ export trading||Marketing/ research||Specific projects|
|How soon to invoice Clients?||5 weeks||3 weeks||5 weeks||Cannot trade||5 weeks|
|How soon can you hire staff?||5 weeks||3 weeks||5 weeks||5 weeks||5 weeks|
|How soon can you sign a lease agreement?||1 week||1 week||1 week||1 week||1 week|
|How long to supply corporate bank a/c?||6 weeks||3 weeks||6 weeks||6 weeks||6 weeks|
|How long to supply co. reg / tax numbers?||5 weeks||3 weeks||5 weeks||5 weeks||5 weeks|
|Corporate tax rate on annual net profits?||33%||33%||0% (for 10 years)||Cannot trade||33%|
|Limited liability entity?||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|Government grants available?||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Govt approval required for foreign owners?||No||No||No||No||No|
|Res. director/partner/ legal rep. required?||No||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Minimum paid up share capital?||US$175||US$175||US$1,750||None||None|
|Can bid for Government contracts?||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Corporate bank account location?||Citibank||Société Générale||Standard Chartered||BICEC||United Bank for Africa|
|Can secure trade finance?||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|VAT payable on sales to local customers?||19.25%||19.25%||Cannot trade locally||Cannot trade||19.25%|
|Average total business set up costs?||Request a proposal||Request a proposal||Request a proposal||Request a proposal||Request a proposal|
|Average total engagement period?||4 months||3 months||4 months||4 months||4 months|
Cameroon company registration summary
Press the link headings below to read detailed, relevant, up to date information.
Advantages and Disadvantages
Advantages of Cameroon company registration
- Our Clients can register a company in Cameroon with only i) one shareholder ii) one director and iii) a minimum paid-up capital of US$1,700 (XAF1 million), paid before incorporation of the Cameroon entity. Our Clients also do not have to travel to complete Cameroon company formation and corporate bank account opening;
- English and French are both national languages of Cameroon, reducing company formation costs in this country. Our French and English speaking Clients will also be able to communicate more easily with their local partners and customers in Cameroon;
- Cameroon is an attractive location for businesses in the oil and gas industry. The country is indeed is the 6th largest producer of petroleum in the petroleum-rich region of Sub-Saharan Africa. Oil reserves are estimated at around 400 million barrels with natural gas reserves also substantial;
- Cameroon is a rapidly growing market, with a GDP growth in 2014 of 5.6% (last figure available) according to the World Bank. The country’s population is 26 million and the country is relatively politically stable compared to its neighbor, making it safer to invest in Cameroon than the rest of the region;
- Cameroon has an adult literacy rate of 85% (as per 2015) and a minimum wage of US$64 per month. As a result, investors can easily hire a skilled labour force at affordable rates for conducting their business in Cameroon.
- Foreign companies entering the Cameroon market to do business, will enjoy a 0% corporate tax rate on annual net profits for the first two years of business. It is also possible to request an extension to this benefit;
Disadvantages of Cameroon company registration
- Corporate income tax is high in Cameroon, with a standard rate of 33% and a minimum alternative tax of up to 5.5% of the turnover of the company. Companies remitting interest and dividends overseas are also subject to a withholding tax rate of 16.5% unless reduced by a double taxation avoidance treaty;
- Cameroon has signed only eight double taxation avoidance treaties, namely with i) Canada ii) Central African Republic iii) Chad iv) Republic of Congo v) Equatorial Guinea vi) France vii) Gabon and viii) Tunisia;
- Cameroon has been poorly ranked at the 153rd position (out of 180 countries) in the Corruption Perception Index 2017. Also, the Cameroonian government is infamous for its widespread bribery, nepotism, and corruption across all the sectors of its economy.
Best uses for a Cameroon companyCameroon is a good place to start a company providing services to the oil and gas industry or to run a business in the agro-forestry sector.
Tell us what you need - we’ll send you a customised proposal in 5 hours!
To help us engineer the optimum Cameroon corporate structure, please complete the 3-minute questionnaire below; then press the submit button below.
This data remains confidential and is not sold to third-parties.
Within 5 hours, one of our senior staff will ring or email you:
Useful links for Cameroon
Government and public authority websites:
- Doing Business in Cameroon
- Trade and Investment Policy Reforms in Cameroon
- African Economic Outlook – Cameroon
- KPMG – Doing Business in Cameroon
- PWC – Paying Taxes 2013
- Global Tax Guide 2013/2014