Success tips when doing business in Canada
- At the start of a business meeting in Canada, short exchange of pleasantries is sufficient;
- Business communication during a meeting in Canada is direct and to the point;
- Different regions in Canada have different business cultures and languages. For example, Quebec region is strictly French speaking;
- Punctuality is a must in any form of meeting in Canada. A delay of more than 30 minutes may break a deal;
- Business cards should have both English and French translated text available.
Other useful tips
- Allergies are very common among the Canadian population; thus a strong perfume is not advisable;
- Weather in Canada is cold and planning your business meeting attire accordingly is a must;
- Remember that Canadian use the metric system, in comparison to the US;
- Canada has Individualism at the highest rank Hofstede Dimension ranking, consequently, strong personal relationship with a Canadian business partner is rare.
Interesting facts about Canada
Business and economics
- The average unemployment rate in Canada is 6.5% in April 2017;
- According to Forbes magazine, Canada is the second best country to do business in G20 and top for G7 in terms of economic growth;
- The Canadian economy is largely dependent on the US one, as more almost 75% of all Canadian exports are sent to its neighbour;
- Inflation rate for April 2017 remains low at 1.6%;
- The Canadian banking system is constantly ranked as one of the soundest in the World, according to the World Economic Forum.
- Canada is the second largest country by land mass, covering more than 9,900,000 square kilometres;
- Forests in Canada are so vast, they amount to 10% of the total forest area in the World;
- Canada enjoys the largest reserves of fresh water in the World;
- If the weather was not as cold in Canada, the country would have been a summer tourism hotspot due to having the largest coastline in the World.
- The country’s population is considered as multicultural as every fifth Canadian has origin other than British or French;
- Immigration in Canada is very desirable and fuels the growth of the population, highest in the G7 countries since 2011;
- Montreal is the second largest French speaking city in the World, after Paris;
- Canada’s population has been steadily growing and reached 36.5 million people in January 2017.