Success tips when doing business in Canada
- International entrepreneurs should always keep in mind that, while Canadians may look like Americans and speak like Americans, there are many substantial differences between the two countries;
- Canadians prefer morning meetings with conservative dress code;
- Business cards should have both English and French translations;
- French speaking entrepreneurs will benefit greatly from doing business in Quebec where French language is most widely spoken and partially in Nova Scotia;
- Maintaining eye contact is important and lack of it speaks of disinterest and is frowned upon.
Other useful tips
- Women are equal to men in the business world of Canada, as they occupy high positions in both public and private entities;
- White lilies are not suitable as a gift, because in Canada they are associated with funerals;
- Gifts are usually part of the closing of negotiation or contract. Appropriate gifts are country souvenirs or a nice bottle of wine;
- Using the ‘V” sign for “victory” is considered as strong insult and should be avoided.
Interesting facts about Canada
Business and economics
- The main export partner of Canada is not surprisingly the US, with 76% of total Canadian exports;
- The services sector is the largest by size with more than 70% stake;
- The country’s unemployment rate is moderately low at 5.7%;
- Canada’s GDP per capita for 2016 amounts to US$44,793;
- Since 2016, the country experiences low inflation of 1.4%.
- Canada is the perfect place for a beach walk with the world’s largest coastline of 243,000km;
- The country enjoys the largest number of lakes in the world and largest reserves of fresh water than any other country;
- There are six-time zones in Canada, while the border between the country and the US is the largest open border in the World.
Society and culture
- The word Canada is derived from the Huron-Iroquois word “kanata”, meaning a village or settlement;
- The country is officially bilingual with French and English being official languages;
- Canada is considerably smaller in population in comparison to its Southern neighbor. In 2016, the population was estimated just over 35.5 million.