DOING BUSINESS IN CONGO
Since 2003, Healy Consultants Group PLC has assisted our Clients with business registration in the Republic of Congo. Our services include i) Republic of Congo company incorporation ii) government license registration iii) business bank account opening iv) employee recruitment v) visa strategies and vi) office rental solutions.
Press the link headings below to read detailed, relevant, up to date information.
Advantages and Disadvantages
Advantages of Congo company registration
- It is possible to register limited liability company in Congo (SARL), with only one director and one shareholder, who can be of any nationality and can be either individuals or corporate bodies. The minimum paid-up capital required is only US$1,100 and our Clients do not need to travel to complete the engagement;
- Our Clients find it attractive to establish a new company in Congo to trade natural resources because:
- The Republic of Congo is the 8th largest producer of oil in Africa, constituting approximately 70% of the country’s GDP. Investors keen to tap into this lucrative business will find that forming a company in Congo will provide them with expanded opportunities;
- Congo additionally offer investors and entrepreneurs opportunities to venture into lucrative businesses involving mineral resources such as diamonds, potash, uranium, zinc, lead, phosphate and copper;
- Investors and entrepreneurs in the food industry will find Congo a better jurisdiction to trade with as the country is highly dependent on imported food products. The country imports nearly US$400 million in food products every year, constituting almost 75% of the country’s food consumption;
- The government of Congo, through the Investment Charter of 2003 gives guarantees, equal opportunities and protection to foreign investor against discrimination on all kind of investments in Congo.
- It is relatively easy to form a company in Congo, because the country is signatory to the Organization for Harmonization of Business Law in African (OHADA) together with nine other African countries including i) Mali ii) Senegal iii) Togo and iv) Cameroon among other countries to harmonize their respective business practices;
Disadvantages of Congo company registration
- A Congo limited liability company (SARL) is required by law to appoint at least 1 director who is either i) Congolese or ii) a foreign individual who must have been resident in Congo for at least 2 years. Our Firm can assist our Clients to comply with this requirement if needed;
- Forming a company in Congo is time-consuming for the following reasons:
- Incorporating a business in Congo is time-consuming and involves numerous procedures and requirements including commissioning of a public notary to notarize the company documents and to temporarily hold the required minimum share capital;
- Non-French speaking investors and entrepreneurs will face difficulties interacting with Clients and suppliers since the Republic of Congo is a francophone African country and the official and business language is French;
- Apart from the numerous registration procedures, the government agencies are rife with corruption and spending money to get things done is the order of the day.
- Companies registered in Congo are subject to i) corporate tax at a standard rate of 30% ii) 20% withholding tax on dividends and interests paid to resident and non-resident companies and iii) VAT of 16% on domestic sales of goods and services.
Best uses for a Congo company
- Most companies formed in Congo by foreigners are mining or agroforestry businesses, as Gabon boasts significant natural resources and cheap labor costs to extract them.
Tell us what you need - we’ll send you a customised proposal in 5 hours!
To help us engineer the optimum Congo corporate structure, please complete the 3-minute questionnaire below; then press the submit button below.
Within 5 hours, one of our senior staff will ring or email you:
- Time to incorporate: Seven weeks
- Cost to set up: US$14,030
- Minimum capital: US$1,100
- Physical office required: Yes
- Shareholders: 1
- Directors: 1
- Company secretary: No
- Resident director: Yes
- Corporate tax rate: 30%
- Corporate tax base: Worldwide
- Shelf companies: Unavailable
- Main company type: SARL