Australia employment visas
After assisting our Clients set up their businesses in Australia, many Clients request our assistance in applying for various visas from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) for them to manage and staff their businesses in Australia. Common visa solutions requested by our Clients to relocate to Australia include: i) business innovation and investment visa and ii) skilled worker visa. If necessary, we can also assist our Clients secure short term visas for business visits.
Entrepreneur/ Investor visas (Business innovation and investment – 188 )
Through this scheme, entrepreneurs must submit an expression of interest and be nominated by the State Government or Austrade before applying.
The various streams under this visa are:
|Business innovation||Establish and manage new or existing business with assets of AU$800,000 available for legal transfer to Australia;|
|Investor||Designated investment of at least AU$1.5 million in an Australian state;|
|Entrepreneur||Funding agreement for at least AU$200,000 from registered investor or a State institution;|
- In addition to the above requirements, applicants must also meet i) health requirements and ii) character requirements while certain streams are required to score on a points test.
- The visa will be valid for 4 years. Thereafter, visa holders may apply for the permanent (888) visa if they meet additional requirements. Only holders of 188 visa in business innovation and investor streams may apply for additional 2 years extensions.
- The application will take at least 9 months to process. Application can be made online after receiving a nomination by the state or Austrade.
- Documents required include i) form 1139A and form 80 ii) passport copy iii) business documents and iv) health certificate.
Long term work visa (temporary work visa – 457)
Foreign employers can apply for 457 visa for both themselves and their employees to work and reside in Australia.
- Applicants of this visa are required to work in an approved occupation on the Skilled Occupation list. Some of the occupations on the list include i) accountants, ii) medical administrators, iii) engineers, iv) construction managers. The applicant must also meet the skill requirements test by the relevant assessing authority.
- In addition, applicants must pass i) an English language proficiency test, ii) health examinations and iii) character requirements.
- Applicant must also be nominated by an approved sponsoring business. To become a sponsoring business, the company must be a i) lawfully operating business, ii) demonstrate commitment to employing locals and iii) meet certain training benchmarks.
- Once approved, holder of a 457 visa can come to Australia and work for a business for up to 4 years. Application can be made online after being nominated by an approved sponsoring business. Processing time will take at least 3 months.
- Documents required include i) eVisa application 1066 ii) documentation of occupation and iii) passport.
For short term visits to Australia for business purpose, our Clients may consider the following:
Short term business visit visas (visitor – 600)
The 600 visa allows our Clients to visit Australia short term for the purposes of business related visits.
- It can be issued for 3 months, 6 months or 12 months. The processing time may take up to one month depending on length of required stay in Australia.
- Documents required include passport and copy of the applicant’s return ticket;
- Passport holder of countries such as i) UK ii) Germany iii) France and iv) Spain are also eligible for a free 3 months eVisitor (651) visa for tourism and business.
Steps to obtain an Australia 457 visa
Healy Consultants will be pleased to assist our Clients i) register their company in Australia ii) open a corporate bank account and iii) obtain a residency permit on their behalf and/or for their foreign employees.
- Healy Consultants will i) legally register Australian company, ii) open corporate bank account and iii) secure business licenses.
- Healy Consultants will assist Clients application to be a standard business sponsor by preparing i) detailed business plan, ii) auditable plan and iii) financials to demonstrate the following:
- Business is a lawfully operating business;
- Employment of local employees;
- Ability to reach training benchmarks;
- Upon approval, Healy Consultants will submit a quality visa application together with supporting documents directly to DIBP or through the local Australian embassy. The processing time of the visa will take at least 3 months.
During this period, our Client must pass the relevant proficiency assessment;
- Following approval of visa application, the Client will be requested to visit their local Australian embassy to collect their Australian residence visa;
- Healy Consultants will assist Clients apply the same for their foreign employees if required.
Frequently asked questions
Where can I find more information regarding Australian visas?You can find more information regarding different visas for Australia and permanent residence in Australia on the website of Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
I am interested in working in Australia. Which visa should I apply for?You can find the different visas you are eligible for by entering your details on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s visa finder page.