Since 2003, Healy Consultants has assisted our Clients with registering their new business in New Zealand. Our services include i) New Zealand company registration ii) government license registration iii) business bank account opening iv) employee recruitment v) visa strategies and vi) office rental solutions.
Advantages of New Zealand company registration
- A New Zealand limited liability company can be created within 1 week, with only 1 director and 1 shareholder, who both can be of any nationality. Paid up share capital is just US$1 and our Client does not need to travel to complete corporate bank account opening and company registration in New Zealand. Consequently for the past 6 years, the World Bank has ranked New Zealand as the easiest place on the planet to start a business;
- There are three types of New Zealand companies that are amazingly attractive vehicles for our international Clients’ to conduct their global business, including:
- The “Look Through” company is a New Zealand resident company. If properly structured and owned by a non-resident individual, such company can be tax-exempt while enjoying the network of New Zealand’s double taxation avoidance treaties;
- This simple New Zealand offshore company can be used as a tax exempt holding company or as a trading company if all its operations are done outside of New Zealand. We recommend the corporate bank account be outside of New Zealand in a country like Singapore, Germany or the United States;
- The New Zealand Financial Services Provider company is regulated by the New Zealand Financial Services Authority. It can internationally provide all kinds of financial services with limited regulatory oversight;
- Fortunately, New Zealand is not blacklisted by any jurisdiction or authority in the world and has no connotations as a tax haven. New Zealand is a fully committed member of the OECD, FATF and World Trade Organization.
- Multinationals choose Zealand as a cheaper alternative to Australia, because:
- Average wages are recorded at only US$3,425 per month, 40% lower than the Australia’s average of US$5,680. NZ employers also pay social security contributions representing only 3% of their employees’ gross salaries, against 19% in Australia;
- New Zealand businesses pay a total effective amount of taxes averaging 34% of their earnings compared to 48% in Australia. These effective rates include corporation tax, payroll contributions and GST;
- Average rental of warehouse space in New Zealand is recorded at only US$55 per square meter per year. Office space in Auckland’s CBD is recorded at only US$450, and can get as low as US$290 in suburban areas;
- New Zealand companies enjoy tariff-free access when selling their products and services to Australian costumers. NZ companies also enjoy free trade agreements with i) ASEAN countries ii) China and iii) GCC countries;
- Living costs are over 10% lower in New Zealand than in Australia, including i) housing ii) restauration and iii) transportation. Melbourne and Sidney are indeed ranked as the 33rd and 26th most expensive cities in the world, while Auckland is only ranked at the 68th position.
- The New Zealand Government offers generous business set up incentives to multinationals including:
- The New Zealand Trade and Enterprise Agency generously offers i) tax credits for Research and Development (R&D) expenses by start-ups, of up to US$430,000 per year and and ii) provide credit insurance which can cover up to 80% of the value of goods and services exported abroad;
- The Energy Efficient Conservation Authority offers loans and funding for energy efficiency projects including i) fuel efficiency programmes for transportation companies ii) company energy management tools and iii) energy audits for manufacturing companies, amongst many others;
- The New Zealand Film Commission offers film production grants for i) large budget screen production and ii) post digital & visual effects. These grants represent an average of US$20,000 per subsidized production, but can also go as high as US$3,000,000;
- Securing loans in New Zealand is easy, thanks to an efficient banking sector. New Zealand is ranked as the 3rd best country in the world to secure a loan by the World Bank and local banks are very supportive of SMEs;
- The New Zealand Venture Investment Fund was established by the government in 2002 to assist the venture capital market in New Zealand. Consequently, there is a large network of venture capital firms and angel investors ready to finance entrepreneurial ideas. The country is also ranked by the World Economic Forum as the 4th best place in the world for the availability of venture capital.
- New Zealand is the best jurisdiction in the world to set up a financial services company because:
- Within 2 months, Healy Consultants can register a New Zealand a financial services company for our Client with limited regulatory oversight. Financial entities include banks, hedge funds, asset management;
- New Zealand is a reputable financial center, neither considered an offshore tax haven nor blacklisted by any Government in the world.
- Obtaining a financial service provider license in New Zealand is i) much easier and ii) much cheaper than London, New York, Japan, Australia, Singapore and Hong Kong;
- New Zealand financial regulations rank as the 2nd best in the world, according to professionals polled by the Global Financial Center Index.
Disadvantages of New Zealand company registration
- All New Zealand entities must appoint a resident director, residing in New Zealand or Australia. If requested, Healy Consultants will supply a professional, passive nominee director purely for the purpose of registering a company in New Zealand. This individual will play no part in our Client daily business;
- Foreign-owned companies must file audited financial statements every year, if their annual sales are expected to be over US$24,000. Healy Consultants will negotiate with the New Zealand Government for exemption from this annual administrative requirement.
Why invest in New Zealand
Frequently asked questions
How to register a business in New Zealand?In order to register a company in New Zealand, our Clients will have to inform the New Zealand registrar office of their intent of starting a new business in New Zealand. They will then have to submit all required documents for that entity to proceed with registration of their company in New Zealand. Healy Consultants’ New Zealand company registration agent will take care of all these steps on our Client behalf, once our Firm is formally engaged and provided with a Power of Attorney enabling us to register the company in New Zealand.
Do I need to be resident in New Zealand in order to register my New Zealand company?No, you will not be required to be resident in New Zealand in order to start a New Zealand company. However, you will need to appoint a resident to the role of director of the company. On request, Healy Consultants can provide nominee resident director services.
How much time is needed in order to register my company in New Zealand?From the submission of a complete application, the Registrar office usually approves the creation of a new company within one week. Corporate bank account opening, which is also amongst Healy Consultants; New Zealand company registration services, takes a little longer: usually an average of four weeks.