9 steps to incorporating in Kenya in 2021
Incorporation of a company in Kenya is straightforward, and can be completed in an average of three months, including opening a local corporate bank account. Our Client will not need to travel to Kenya to complete business setup. The typical procedures are as follow:
- Before Healy Consultants Group PLC proceeds with Kenya business incorporation, we request our Client to i) settle our fees ii) complete and sign our engagement letter and iii) provides us at least 75% of the documents required for our internal due diligence checks;
- Our Client confirms their preferred corporate structure for the Kenyan entity. Our Firm then prepares a detailed project plan for our Client. This document maps out week by week the engagement’s steps from start to completion.
- Once confirmed, Healy Consultants Group PLC will reserve our Client’s preferred Kenyan company name with the Kenya Registrar of Companies;
- Upon name reservation, Healy Consultants Group PLC will prepare and email our Client the i) Memorandum and Articles of Association, ii) director consent forms and iii) shareholder consent forms for our Client’s signature and email scan return.
- Immediately after receipt of the above, Healy Consultants Group PLC will complete company incorporation with the Kenya Registrar of Companies.
- Healy Consultants Group PLC receives the Certificate of Incorporation from the Registrar of Companies and provides the same to our Client.
- Healy Consultants Group PLC proceeds to simultaneously register and obtain our Client’s i) tax number from the Kenya Revenue Authority and ii) unified business permit from relevant provincial ministry.
- Healy Consultants Group PLC will communicate with numerous banks in Kenya and provide our Client with a list of banks willing to onboard their business.
- Once our Client confirms their preferred Kenyan banking partner from the provided list, Healy Consultants Group PLC will advance bank account opening. Our client will not need to travel to complete bank account opening.
Kenya LLP incorporation steps
- Upon successfully reserving our Client’s preferred business name, Healy Consultants Group PLC will prepare and submit Form LLP1 to register the partnership.
- After the Kenya Registrar of Companies has issued the LLP registration certificate, Healy Consultants Group PLC obtain our Client’s business permit.
- Post LLP registration steps will be i) bank account opening ii) National Social Security Fund (NSSF) registration and iii) National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF);
Procedures to register a Kenyan branch of a foreign company
Authentication of parent company documents
- Before Healy Consultants Group PLC is able to register a branch of a foreign company, our Client is required to provide the parent company’s corporate documents which have i) been notarized by a notary public and ii) legalized at the Kenyan embassy where the parent company is domiciled;
Approval of branch registration application
- Upon receipt of the original authenticated corporate documents, Healy Consultants Group PLC will complete and submit a branch registration application to the Kenya Registrar of Companies for approval;
Registration of the branch
- After securing approval from the Kenya Registrar of Companies, Healy Consultants Group PLC settles branch registration fees and obtains the branch’s certificate of registration.
Post branch registration
- Healy Consultants Group PLC will then proceed to i) secure a tax number from the Kenya Revenue Authority, ii) obtain a business permit from the relevant provincial authority and iii) open a corporate bank account with our Client’s preferred Kenyan banking partner.