Qatar employment visas in 2023
How to get Qatar work visa?
Overseas professionals who want to work and reside in Qatar must possess both a residency visa and a work permit (labour card) issued by the Ministry of Interior (MOI). A foreign national can obtain a residency visa in Qatar by i) incorporating a business in Qatar, ii) becoming a shareholder of a Qatar company, iii) purchasing real estate in Qatar or iv) being employed in Qatar. Healy Consultants will be pleased to complete all procedures necessary to obtain a visa on behalf of our Clients.
- Entrepreneurs relocating to the city of Qatar to manage their Qatar business are required to apply for an investor visa. This three-years visa requires Qatari national sponsorship;
- Entrepreneurs can simultaneously apply for residency visas for their spouse and children.
- All foreign workers require a residence visa and a ‘labor card’. Expatriate employees must be sponsored by their employer to obtain a three year employment visa;
- The employee must i) submit to a medical examination, ii) show copies of employment contract, iii) provide academic or professional qualifications and iv) provide an employer sponsorship letter;
- The company must register his or her employment contract with the Ministry of Interior before a residency visa can be issued. Each company is permitted to a certain quota of residency visas;
- Employees with residency visas who earn above a threshold salary may sponsor family members for residency visas;
- Sponsorship cannot be transferred unless the employee has worked for at least two years with their original sponsor. The employer is responsible for the employees while they are in Qatar;
- All contracts of employment are governed by the Labour Law and must be in Arabic and approved by the Labour Department. Employers should be aware of the requirement to pay end of service benefits to employees.
For shorter term visits to Qatar, foreigners may apply for the following:
- The business visas are generally for businessmen who are visiting Qatar for short term assignments. These visas have a maximum validity of 3 months;
- These visas are sponsored by Qatar resident companies and must receive approvals from the MOI.
- Citizens from certain countries are entitled to an automatic 30-days visa upon arrival at Qatar airport. Those countries include i) Australia, ii) Canada, iii) Hong Kong, iv) Singapore, v) South Korea, vi) Switzerland, vii) USA, viii) UK;
- Countries without visa agreements with Qatar will require their citizens to apply for visa at their country’s Qatari embassy;
- Israel nationals are barred from entering Qatar.