15 steps to incorporating in Qatar
- Prior to incorporating in Qatar, our Client i) settles Healy Consultants’ Qatar business registration fees ii) signs and returns our Client engagement letter and iii) provide us all the required due diligence documents;
- Healy Consultants drafts a detailed Qatar corporate setup engagement project plan, mapping out by week each step to Qatar business registration engagement to completion, optimizing transparency, and setting Client expectations;
- Healy Consultants assists our Clients determine i) what type of Qatar corporate registration entity is required ii) what class of business license is required iii) how a Qatari national sponsor will help iv) banking and cash flow considerations and v) employment visa strategies;
- If a 51% local shareholder is required, Healy Consultants provides our Client detailed due diligence information about the nominee. A detailed legal shareholders contract is signed between our Client and the Qatari national, clearly defining roles and responsibilities.
Name reservation and M&AA
- When the exact Qatar corporate structure is agreed with our Client, Healy Consultants reserves company name with the Commercial Registry Department and the Trademarks Department located at the Ministry of Economy and Commerce in Doha;
- The company Memorandum and Articles of Association (M&AA) is prepared in Arabic, signed before an agent at the Ministry of Justice and submitted for review at the Commercial Companies Inspection Department at the Ministry of Business and Trade;
Compliances before securing the Trade License
- Our Client supplies Healy Consultants with a lease agreement for their office premises in Qatar. If required, Healy Consultants will supply virtual office services for 6 months until our Client finds their preferred business address following Qatar entity registration;
- Healy Consultants assists our Client open a corporate bank account with a Qatar bank to support Qatar entity registration. Our Client deposits the paid up share capital of US$55,000 and supplies Healy Consultants with a certificate of deposit and a bank statement;
- Healy Consultants then i) pays the Chamber of Commerce fee ii) notarises all company documents and iii) registers the company with the Department of Naturalization and Residency (DNR) and Labour Department iv) applies for a municipal and signage licences and an Employers Immigration Department Identity Card;
Securing the Trade License
- A commercial or industrial license application is submitted to the Qatar Ministry of Business and Trade together with i) the signed M&A accompanied by passport copy of the authorized signatory ii) name approval certificate iii) certificate of paid up share capital iv) notarized directors and shareholders resolutions v) the lease agreement in Arabic, accompanied by photographs of the office premises and office signboard. The trade license application fee applicable will be QAR10,020;
- Prior to granting the Trade License, an inspection team from the municipality will visit the office premises of the company. License approval will be granted only if the leased premises is designated as a commercial property;
Securing exemption for a local shareholder (if applicable)
- To be exempt from requiring a 51% Qatari shareholder, our Client’s business will need to i) utilize substantial local raw materials and local labour ii) significantly enhance Qatar exports or iii) supply a significant new product to the Qatar market or iv) bring modern technology to the country. If these conditions are met, Healy Consultants applies for exemption to the Investment Promotion Department at the Ministry of Economy and Commerce;
- Subsequently, Healy Consultants assists our Client i) register the Qatari LLC with the Company Registry Office and ii) obtain a Company Registration Certificate from the Ministry of Commerce iii) register for taxes and obtain a tax identification number from the Tax Department at the Ministry of Finance iv) obtain an office registration number from the Water and Electricity Authority (Kahramaa). Thereafter, the company M&A is published in the Ministry of Economy and Commerce’s Bulletin;
- Healy Consultants will obtain work visas from the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs and the Department of Naturalization and Residence to support Qatar business formation;
- Following company incorporation engagement completion, Healy Consultants couriers a full company kit to our Client, including original Qatar corporate documents, unopened bank correspondence and a Client feedback survey.
List of documents required for incorporation
- A non-objection letter from the parent company to incorporate a local subsidiary in Qatar and consent to use the company name;
- Certified true copies of the parent company attested by Qatari Embassy in the country of origin;
- A Power of Attorney issued to our Client’s local Qatar representative or Healy Consultants Qatar;
- A copy of the lease agreement for office premises in Qatar;
- Personal due diligence documents for each individual shareholder, director and authorized representative notarized and attested by a Qatari Embassy including passport, utility bill and bank statements.
Frequently asked questions
How long does it take to incorporate a Qatar company?Healy Consultants can legally complete incorporation of a Qatar company within three weeks.
What is the minimum number of directors/shareholder required for a Qatar company?A Qatar company requires a minimum of 2 shareholders and 1 director. The shareholders need to be a Qatar resident but the director does not have to a resident. In addition, corporate directors are permitted.
Are there any restrictions on ownership of a Qatar company?For a limited liability company (LLC), foreign investors are permitted 49% of the stake provided that there are one or more Qatari partners. It is also possible for foreigners to own up to 100% of a Qatari company upon request in specialist sectors, agriculture, industry, health, education, tourism and development of natural resources.
Is information about the company available to the public?A register of shareholders and directors is available for public viewing at the Ministry of Economy and Commerce.
Is a Qatar company subject to an annual audit?A Qatar LLC is required to submit an annual tax return. If annual profits exceed US$27,470, the declaration should be accompanied by audited financial statements prepared by an auditor registered in Qatar. The taxpayer should keep accounting records in Qatari Riyals unless previously agreed with the tax administration.
What are the minimum capital requirements for a Qatar company?A Qatar LLC requires a minimum capital of QR300,000 (US$55,000).
What are the tax implications of a Qatar company?A Qatar LLC is liable to pay corporate income tax on profits sourced in Qatar. From 1 January 2010, a flat taxation rate of 10% is applicable. There is no income tax on individual salaries.
Does Qatar have a good network of double tax treaties?Qatar has a total of 58 avoidance of double taxation treaties. The existing double taxation treaties include countries such as France, Netherlands, UK, Russia, Malaysia, Singapore, India, and Mauritius.
What company incorporation services can Healy Consultants offer my firm?As Qatar incorporation service providers, Healy Consultants will assist our Clients with i) company registration ii) business license registration iii) immigration solutions iv) employment strategies v) business banking solutions and vi) office rental requirements.Our experts are Qatar incorporation specialists and will send our Clients weekly updates till engagement completion.
Will I need to travel to Qatar to incorporate a company?No, our Client will not have to travel while incorporating in Qatar.