DOING BUSINESS IN MALTA
For over a decade, Healy Consultants Group PLC has been efficiently and effectively assisting our Clients with i) business registration ii) business licensing iii) Malta business banking solutions iv) visa options and staff recruitment strategies and v) workspace rental solutions.
Press the link headings below to read detailed, relevant, up to date information.
Advantages and disadvantages
Advantages of Malta company registration
- Malta is located close to European and African markets, which makes Malta business registration a strategic advantage. If properly-structured, registering a company in Malta is an ideal, tax-efficient way to conduct international business;
- The minimum share capital required to register a Maltese company is only US$1,572. Only one director and two shareholders are required. Malta business registration is a quick process. After submission of the Memorandum and Articles to the Registrar, company registration can be completed within 10 days;
- A Maltese company is unlikely to be considered a tax-avoidance vehicle as it is required to submit annual audited accounts;
- Having a company in Malta allows entrepreneurs to register for EU VAT and gain access to a network of double taxation treaties with countries, some of which include Australia, France, Germany, Singapore, South Africa, US and UK;
- A company registered in Malta can be a tax efficient entity when used as the headquarters of an international group. Learn more about Malta’s holding company regime on our Healy Consultants blog;
- A Maltese Investment Services license can be used to provide investment services or to act as funds custodians in Malta or in all European Union countries as this license is transferable to EU without a permit needed in other member states;
- Healy Consultants works with recognised Maltese banks – Bank of Valletta and HSBC Bank; these banks provide excellent corporate services;
- English is an official language in Malta. It is spoken by 88% of the population. Therefore, foreign investors will easily be able to communicate with employees, customers and suppliers;
- Malta is located in the heart of the Mediterranean near mainland Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. Moreover, Malta has an excellent port infrastructure that, together with its membership of the European Union, makes it an ideal location for businesses entrepreneurs interested in Malta business.
Disadvantages of Malta company registration
- Following registration, shareholders and directors’ details are available for public viewing at the Registry of Companies;
- In order for a Maltese company to receive an EU VAT number for company registration, the management and control of the company must be in Malta. The company is required to register for VAT if the total value of goods acquired in a calendar year from a VAT-registered EU company exceeds €10,000 (US$13,150). VAT rate is 18%;
- Annual accounts must be prepared and submitted to the Maltese government;
- Malta cooperates with the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and Financial Action Task Force (FATF) on money laundering by sharing customer information with other countries;
- Malta is negatively ranked as the world’s 58th freest economy according to the Heritage Foundation’s 2015 Index of Economic Freedom, a measure of freedom enjoyed in business, trade, monetary, financial, investment and labour markets;
- Malta is negatively ranked as the 43rd-least corrupt country in the 2014 Corruption Perceptions Index by Transparency International, a global measure of corruption amongst public officials and politicians.
- Corporate tax rate is high at 35% and personal income tax rates are progressive from 0%-35%.
Tell us what you need - we’ll send you a customised proposal in 5 hours!
To help us engineer the optimum Malta corporate structure, please complete the 3-minute questionnaire below; then press the submit button below.
Within 5 hours, one of our senior staff will ring or email you:
- Time to incorporate: Six weeks
- Cost to set up: €9,675
- Minimum capital: €1,160
- Physical office required: No
- Shareholders: 2
- Directors: 1
- Company secretary: Yes
- Resident director: No
- Corporate tax rate: 35%
- Corporate tax base: Worldwide
- Shelf companies: No
- Main company type: limited company
Useful links for Malta
Government and public authority websites:
- Central Bank of Malta
- Malta Stock Exchange
- Malta Tax Authority
- Ministry of Finance
- Malta airports
- Malta hotels