Hungary employment and residence visas in 2023
EU nationals are not required to apply for a visa to enter Hungary. Citizens of other countries must obtain a visa to work and live in the country. Healy Consultants offers this service for €3,950. Please note that the visa application fee paid to the Hungarian authorities may differ according to your country of origin. The following visas are available:
- An entrepreneur obtain this visa under the category residence permit for the pursuit of gainful activity – specifically for self-employment purposes;
- To qualify for a residence permit for the pursuit of gainful activity i) the business must employ at least three Hungarian citizens or persons with the right of free movement and residence, and who are in full-time employment for at least six consecutive months ii) a valid passport iii) proof of Hungary company formation iv) a business plan and v) business contracts;
- The company must submit proof of substance requirements and documents such as i) bank statements ii) an income tax statement iii) existing insurance policy and iv) a Hungary tenancy agreement to prove residential address;
- A residence permit is valid for a maximum of three years, and may be extended by another three years at a time;
- The passport must be valid for at least three additional months after the date of expiry of the residence permit;
- After a continuous five-year stay in Hungary, applicants may be eligible to apply for an EC permanent residence card. After eight years’ residence, applicants may be eligible to apply for Hungarian citizenship.
- All non-EU individuals must obtain a work visa specifically for the purpose of employment. The employer applies for the work permit on the employee’s behalf;
- The following documents must be submitted: i) an employment contract or offer letter ii) valid passport and iii) proof of Hungary business incorporation;
- In addition, proof of substance requirements and other documents must be submitted, including i) bank statements ii) income tax statement iii) existing insurance policy and iv) Hungary tenancy agreement to prove residential address;
- The validity of the residence permit granted for the purpose of employment depends on the specialist authority’s assessment, and may be renewed or extended.
- This visa is issued for up to 90 days for a short-term visit;
- Documents required include i) valid passport ii) travel health insurance iii) documents declaring the purpose of visit iv) roundtrip air ticket reservation v) hotel reservations and vi) bank statements.
Summary of costs
|Visa fee||Depends on country of origin and visa type||Hungary Embassy|
|Healy Consultants fee||3,950||Healy Consultants|