14 steps to incorporating in Qatar
- Prior to incorporating in Qatar, our Client i) settles Healy Consultants’ Qatar business registration fees ii) signs and returns our Client engagement letter and iii) provide us all the required due diligence documents;
- Healy Consultants drafts a detailed Qatar corporate setup engagement project plan, mapping out by week each step to Qatar business registration engagement completion, optimizing transparency, and setting Client expectations;
- Healy Consultants assists our Clients determine i) what type of Qatar corporate registration entity is required ii) what class of business license is required iii) how a Qatari national sponsor will help iv) banking and cash flow considerations v) employment visa strategies;
- Healy Consultants provides our Client detailed due diligence information about the 51% local shareholder. A detailed legal shareholders contract is signed between our Client and the Qatari national, clearly defining roles and responsibilities;
- The exact Qatar corporate structure is agreed with our Client. Thereafter, Healy Consultants i) reserves company name with the Commercial Registry Department and the Trademarks Department located at the Ministry of Economy and Commerce in Doha and ii) prepares the company Memorandum and Articles of Association in Arabic and signed before an agent at the Ministry of Justice counter iii) and submit the Articles of Association for review at the Commercial Companies Inspection Department at the Ministry of Business and Trade;
- It often happens in Qatar when reserving a company name similar to the parents company (e.g., Coca Cola), the Government demands our Client to supply a certificate of incorporation of parents company to be attested by Qatar Embassy in the country of origin together with the Power of Attorney issued to our Qatar local representative;
- Our Client supplies Healy Consultants with a lease agreement for their office premises. If this is not possible, Healy Consultants will supply virtual office services for 6 months until our Client finds their preferred business address following Qatar entity registration;
- Healy Consultants assists our Client open a corporate bank account with a Qatar bank to support Qatar entity registration. Our Client deposits the paid up share capital of US$55,000 and supplies Healy Consultants with a certificate of deposit and a bank statement. Healy Consultants then i) pays the Chamber of Commerce fee ii) notarises all company documents and iii) registers the company with the Department of Naturalization and Residency and Labour Department iv) applies for a municipal licence v) applies for a signage licence and applies for an Employers Immigration Department Identity Card;
- The commercial or industrial license application is submitted to the Qatar Ministry of Business and Trade together with i) the signed M&A ii) name approval certificate iii) the lease agreement in Arabic iv) a certificate of paid up share capital v) notarized directors and shareholders resolutions vi) notarized certificate of Incorporation or equivalent document and vii) a passport copy of the representative authorized to sign the Articles of Association on behalf of the company viii) photographs of the office premises and office sign ix) the trade license fee of QAR10,020;
- The municipality usually sends an inspection team to inspect the office premises of the company prior to granting the Trade License. License approval will be granted only if the leased premises are designated as a ‘commercial’ property. Within three weeks, business license approval is received;
- Healy Consultants applies to the Investment Promotion Department at the Ministry of Economy and Commerce so as to obtain exemption from requiring a 51% Qatari shareholder. A favorable reply will be received if our Client’s business will i) utilize substantial local raw materials and local labour ii) significantly enhance Qatar exports or iii) supply a significant new product to the Qatar market or iv) bring modern technology to the country;
- Subsequently, Healy Consultants assists our Client i) register the Qatari LLC with the Company Registry Office and ii) obtain a Company Registration Certificate from the Ministry of Commerce iii) register for taxes and obtain a tax identification number from the Tax Department at the Ministry of Finance iv) obtain an office registration number from the Water and Electricity Authority (Kahramaa). Thereafter, the company M&A is published in the Ministry of Economy and Commerce’s Bulletin;
- Healy Consultants will obtain work visas from the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs and the Department of Naturalization and Residence to support Qatar business formation;
- Following company incorporation engagement completion, Healy Consultants couriers a full company kit to our Client, including original Qatar corporate documents, unopened bank correspondence and a Client feedback survey.
Frequently asked questions
How long does it take to incorporate a Qatar company?Healy Consultants can legally complete incorporation of a Qatar company within three weeks.
What is the minimum number of directors/shareholder required for a Qatar company?A Qatar company requires a minimum of 2 shareholders and 1 director. The shareholders need to be a Qatar resident but the director does not have to a resident. In addition, corporate directors are permitted.
Are there any restrictions on ownership of a Qatar company?For a limited liability company (LLC), foreign investors are permitted 49% of the stake provided that there are one or more Qatari partners. It is also possible for foreigners to own up to 100% of a Qatari company upon request in specialist sectors, agriculture, industry, health, education, tourism and development of natural resources.
Is information about the company available to the public?A register of shareholders and directors is available for public viewing at the Ministry of Economy and Commerce.
Is a Qatar company subject to an annual audit?A Qatar LLC is required to submit an annual tax return. If annual profits exceed US$27,470, the declaration should be accompanied by audited financial statements prepared by an auditor registered in Qatar. The taxpayer should keep accounting records in Qatari Riyals unless previously agreed with the tax administration.
What are the minimum capital requirements for a Qatar company?A Qatar LLC requires a minimum capital of QR300,000 (US$55,000).
What are the tax implications of a Qatar company?A Qatar LLC is liable to pay corporate income tax on profits sourced in Qatar. From 1 January 2010, a flat taxation rate of 10% is applicable. There is no income tax on individual salaries.
Does Qatar have a good network of double tax treaties?Qatar has a total of 58 avoidance of double taxation treaties. The existing double taxation treaties include countries such as France, Netherlands, UK, Russia, Malaysia, Singapore, India, and Mauritius.
What company incorporation services can Healy Consultants offer my firm?As Qatar incorporation service providers, Healy Consultants will assist our Clients with i) company registration ii) business license registration iii) immigration solutions iv) employment strategies v) business banking solutions and vi) office rental requirements.
Our experts are Qatar incorporation specialists and will send our Clients weekly updates till engagement completion.
Will I need to travel to Qatar to incorporate a company?No, our Client will not have to travel while incorporating in Qatar.