For over a decade, Healy Consultants efficiently and effectively assists our Clients with i) Hong Kong business registration ii) government license registration iii) Hong Kong banking considerations iv) immigration solutions and staff hiring strategies and v) office-space rental solutions.
Advantages of Hong Kong company registration
HK has been ranked as the world’s freest economy by the Heritage Foundation. Additionally, Hong Kong has also been ranked as the 2nd best place in the world to start a new business. This has essentially been due to the city’s strategic location and the strength of its liberal economic policies which are listed as follows:
- Clients can incorporate a limited company in Hong Kong in one week with a share capital of only US$1. Healy Consultants will also not require our Client to travel to complete the engagement;
- Clients starting a business in Hong Kong will require only one director and one shareholder. Furthermore, these individuals are not mandated to be residents in the city;
- A Hong Kong company is legally tax exempt if the entity has no customers and no suppliers within the city;
- For resident companies, the corporate tax rate is among the lowest in Asia at 16.5%;
- Setting up an Hong Kong offshore company is an excellent way to boost global profits as there are no withholding taxes, sales tax, VAT, import and export taxes and capital gains tax levied on the profits;
- A business based in Hong Kong benefits from 34 international double tax treaties that the government has signed to minimize withholding tax on payments abroad.
- A Hong Kong business is an efficient vehicle which faces minimal corruption, restrictions, and red tape. Consequently, the city is ranked as the 2nd best place in the world to start to a new business;
- English is the official business language in Hong Kong; all formal company documents are written in both English and Mandarin. As a result, a foreign entrepreneur is likely to find that working in the city is easy;
- Obtaining bank credit is very easy. Consequently, the city is ranked 4th best place in the world to obtain credit for business;
- A Hong Kong business benefits from the absence of exchange controls to restrict FDIs, currency accounts or repatriation of capital, and earnings;
- It is possible for a resident, regardless of nationality of the owner, to invest in every business sector in the city without any government restriction;
- Along with Singapore, Hong Kong is the leading financial centre in Asia. The city’s International Financial Centre hosts many global financial firms, insurance companies, banks, and asset management firms;
- Hong Kong is entirely a free economic zone in itself; therefore, a resident limited liability company is a great business vehicle for foreign investors who intend to use the city as a regional distribution base or headquarters;
- Being a founding member of the WTO, Hong Kong promotes free trade and does not charge tariffs on imports and exports. Furthermore, bureaucratic procedures like licensing and government registration are kept to a minimum;
- The local government is also ranked as the 14th least corrupt place in the world; this makes it easier for foreign investors to depend on the local laws to protect their assets;
- Hong Kong business portrays a positive image and is, hence, an excellent corporate vehicle to promote the company to global customers, suppliers, investors, venture capitalists, governments, and banks.
Gateway to Asia
- Hong Kong is the top choice for product distribution within Asia. The city has the world’s 2nd best infrastructure in the form of a natural deep sea port, busiest cargo airport, a well-developed rail and road system;
- The city’s strategic location makes it an ideal business gateway to Asia. A Hong Kong corporate allows foreign entrepreneurs easy access to the massive Chinese, Indian and Australian consumer markets;
- Hong Kong banks offer multiple currency personal and business bank accounts, including Japanese Yen, Chinese RMB, the Euro, US dollar, and other major currencies;
- The city is the historic import and export hub of the Asian continent. A large number of international trading companies and banks are based here which provide excellent trade finance facilities. Furthermore, strength of the city’s shipping and transportation sector attracts the world’s leading freight forwarders and shipping and insurance companies;
- The city is deemed as the most business friendly city in Asia. The city’s liberal policies attract both foreign investors and qualified labor from across Asia. Plus, it is the most preferred venue for international exhibitions and conferences.
- Hong Kong will soon have a Free Trade Agreement with ASEAN, which will help Hong Kong based businesses trade without tariffs with a market of 600 million people.
- Hong Kong is Asia’s 3rd most liveable city, comprising of a multinational resident population. Plus, the city provides well-developed infrastructure for residential accommodation, tourism, banking, entertainment, and business;
- It also boasts highly skilled labor with a literacy rate of 96% and a computer literacy of around 95%. Furthermore, most skilled employees are bilingual in English and either Cantonese or Mandarin;
- Employees in Hong Kong understand the corporate culture in mainland China. Therefore, trading and doing business with the Chinese becomes very easy for a resident company;
- Setting up a Hong Kong business allows foreign investors to take advantage of legal tax exemption, while at the same time being able to extract funds from regional subsidiaries in the form of dividends, management fees and royalties;
- Hong Kong is a paradise for high net worth foreign entrepreneurs. The city currently hosts many wealthy Chinese entrepreneurs and is, as a result, synonymous with luxury and houses some of the biggest brands in the world.
|Interview with Aidan Healy on HK business registration|
Disadvantages of Hong Kong company registration
- After Hong Kong business registration, our Clients will be required to submit annual audited financial statements to the Inland Revenue Department. Our experts are Hong Kong accounting specialists and so, Healy Consultants assists our Clients efficiently and effectively complete this obligation;
- Hong Kong banks have become very selective of their customers due to the very high global demand for their services; consequently, opening a corporate bank account in the city can be a cumbersome process;
- To open a corporate bank account, the Client must to travel to Hong Kong for the account opening interview;
- Following Honk Kong business registration, obtaining an employment visa will be complicated due to stringent due diligence requirements. Foreign entrepreneurs must provide education and work experience credentials;
- Hong Kong has relatively weak intellectual property laws and protection, especially when compared to Singapore;
- Citizens of certain nationalities are not eligible for a Hong Kong visa for the purpose of investment. Foreign investors from Afghanistan, Albania, Cambodia, Cuba, Laos, North Korea, Nepal and Vietnam cannot engage in Hong Kong business registration.
- Citizens of mainland China are not allowed to register a company in Hong Kong unless they are permanent residents of another country or have lived abroad for at least one year;
- The quality of conversational English for an average local employee is relatively poor when compared to the other investment hotspots like Singapore, Malaysia, Dubai and Indonesia;
- Effective from March 2014, every private limited company (LLC) must have at least one director who must be a natural person. corporate directors are not allowed.
Why invest in Hong Kong?
Frequently asked questions
How many directors are required for starting a business in Hong Kong?Only 1 director is required for company formation in Hong Kong.
How many shareholders are required for registering a company in Hong Kong?Only 1 shareholder is required for business registration in Hong Kong.
Is it mandatory to have a resident director or shareholder for company establishment in Hong Kong?No. A resident director will not be required for setting up a company in Hong Kong.
How to register a business in Hong Kong?For business registration, our Client will be required to i) search for a company name ii) sign the company setup forms and obtain certificate of incorporation iii) register for tax and social security and iv) make corporate seal and stamp.
Healy Consultants’ experts are company registration specialists and will assist our Client at every step.
Can Healy Consultants assist my firm with Hong Kong subsidiary company registration?Yes. Our Hong Kong business registration services include i) business registration ii) business license registration iii) immigration solutions iv) employment strategies v) business banking solutions vi) office rental/ virtual office setup vii) offshore company setup viii) brokerage account services ix) trust formation services and x) tax planning.